Subject: A mystery to me..... [RE-wrenches]

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar steve at backwoodssolar.com
Sun Oct 19 19:43:39 PDT 2003

One clue might be that battery voltage dropping from 54 to 27 sounds
unusual.
I have seen circuits with unusual unexpected surges, like a freezer that
draws far more than the usual surge if the breaker is switched off and back
on while it is running, because compression pre-load has no time to bleed
off before the re-start.  In my own home I was confounded on what load could
possibly do that when doing a like test and hit the freezer circuit. I would
go see what, besides the known pump, is on the other breaker with the surge
problem.

Still, battery dipping that far down in voltage will certainly shut off the
inverter.  I would check to see exactly what cells or cables are allowing
that much drop (unless the battery is really undersized).  A couple of
normal surge loads that the generator or inverter can handle, coupled with a
high resistance battery cable or cell might explain why no inverter you
tried could handle it and the generator could.

Steve Willey,
Backwoods Solar Electric Systems
steve at backwoodssolar.com