pond aerator [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Sun Oct 12 21:21:15 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Dear Roy and all,

--  "Come on Windy, you can do it!"  -- says Roy.

That's how my customers urged me on in early 80's when they wanted
solar water pumps ... And look at all the trouble it's gotten me
into!  :- 0=

OK, joking aside (?), I've rigged air pumps to motors, LCBs, PVs,
etc, and made bubbles in the sun. For daytime de-icing (opening a
hole) in stock tanks and ponds, we have been successful, even as high
as 10,000 feet in the Rockies (a trout pond, the fish survived
numerous winters like never before). However, I don't know how to
quantify the result.

When the purpose is oxygenation to effect the biology of the pond,
it's a more daunting problem. I can't specify a system to meet the
customer's need when the customer doesn't have a clue how to quantify
his pond conditions, and I don't have the background to interpret
environmental data if I have it.

We don't get much call for pond management here locally, so I don't
have the hands-on or even good observation. We need to hear more
about YOUR experience, Roy. Tell us more about what works for you and
what the remaining problems are.

Windy

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE wrote:
>Hi Darryl,
>
>We get a lot of pond aeration requests here in rural NY state. Some
>for reducing algae growth and some for aquaculture use. We've
>developed and tested several systems for using solar to pump air and
>water for aeration and have found that, with either method, the hard
>part is distribution. How does one get the aeration distributed
>evenly throughout the pond and do it in such a way that algae and/
>or debris don't plug up the aeration line, ring, etc. that you're
>using. And keep it affordable?
>
>Windy....PLEASE weigh in here with your insight! Yes, I know of the
>VERY expensive ($500+) Viton rings and others like it, but how about
>one of those wonderfully simple and innovative solutions that the RE
>industry is so good at producing?? Come on Windy, you can do it!

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com