Battery choice: one string or two? [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Oct 8 16:07:13 PDT 2003

Respected Wrenches,

We have a good offgrid client who is replacing a 6-year old set of 20 golf
carts (before our time) in an old 24V system, now upgraded with FX2024 and
SB50. We have impressed upon him the value of industrial cells, fewer
strings, etc. Our industrial battery of choice is the Rolls-Surrette because
of their good reputation and our close relationship with Dankoff as a
supplier (good support, free shipping etc.).

The client is happy with the same overall capacity of 1100 amphours @ 20
hour rate. We have narrowed down to two choices:
The 4-KS-21PS, 1104 Ahrs, 2 cells/case & 267 lbs., 6 units, 24 3/4" height;
one series string.
The 6-CS-17PS, 546 Ahrs, 3 cells/case & 221 lbs., 8 units, 18 1/4" height;
two series strings.

Cost is close to the same for each choice. At under 300 lbs., both are heavy
but maneuverable (into a basement). Both require that a new battery box be
built. Both have the same 3/10 year warranty and projected cycle life.

Which choice would you recommend, and why? I will share your responses with
the client, who has already confirmed that they will abide by our resultant
recommendation. (psst--I prefer one string, but would like other opinions,
especially those who've been doin' it long enuf to see the results).

Thanks for any contributions.

Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com