GC1000 request for advice [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Sep 29 17:58:57 PDT 2003

Fellow Wrenches,
All of our batteryless GT installs have used Sunny Boys except our first
one, on which we installed two AES GC1000s. That installation went online
around late November 2001. We chose the GC1000 because we had just began to
hear about Sun Tie problems on this list around then, and we patted
ourselves on the back for having avoided that fiasco. The client has been
fully satisfied with the system, its performance, and our service.

One inverter has recently failed. The other is working well but showing
signs of conductor overheating in a couple of spots. We preemptively
informed the client last winter that AES was in bankruptcy and that we
couldn't guarantee support in the event of a failure. We generally warrant
our work for a year, and cover labor on warranted product failures during
that year as well. The time frame here is within the two-year warranty of
the defunct manufacturer but well outside of our normal warranty coverage.

The original array was 32 BP70s (1.12kW at 48 Vnom per inverter) so we can
use a pair of SB1100s with the existing array. Each rack held 8 modules, so
rewiring to string configuration is relatively straightforward. The client
also wants to increase overall array size in the near future, using
remaining roof area.

We have no legal obligation to support the failed inverter, but this is a
good client and we want to do the right thing. It's certainly a gray area.
What would be a fair and equitable offer to take care of the failed
inverters?

Thank you,
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -