question on battery cable run [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Mon Sep 22 15:48:39 PDT 2003

Wrenches,
Per Bill's request below, posting this for him... Peter at ASAP POWER!
He monitors the list and so do I, or respond to him directly.  Thanks to
all.

	Could you post this for me?  The RE-wrenches board is the only place that
I figure has a hope of answering this.

------------------------------

	I am installing a remote power system in a doublewide trailer at a local
airport.  It will start out as a generator assist system, and eventually
the owner will add solar as his budget allows.  It's a SW4024 based system
with 880ah of storage.

	The odd part is that he wants the batteries in a separate shed; he is
uncomfortable keeping them indoors (even with a battery box) and is
concerned that the trailer will not support their weight.  This seems like
a reasonable concern.  As a result, the battery cables will have to run
approximately 10 feet.  I'm specifying 4/0 cabling and a standard 250A
Xantrex DC disco near the inverter.  The cables will be run outdoors via 2"
EMT so they'll be reasonably well protected.  My question is - is it
worthwhile to install an additional 250A fuse in the battery shed
itself?  It seems like a bad idea to leave that much cable unprotected.  Or
would it make more sense to simply move the DC disco to the battery shed?

--Bill von Novak
billvon at dropzone.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com