Subject: RE: UPS as a stand alone inverter? [RE-wrenches]

Dan Duffield dand at directpower.com
Wed Sep 3 18:51:10 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
The large zero transfer time UPS systems, that I am familiar with use
IGBT's.  Our experience with large battery banks led us to the opportunity
to become an authorized local service provider for the Mitsubishi line of
UPS systems from 10KVA units (2033c unit) to the 500KVA units (9800 unit).
These are the finest - large and cleanest engineered inverters i have seen.
	However, these purposely designed units would/could work well - only if
your pv/solar system unit ALWAYS had a significant power draw on them, they
are simply not intended for minimal quiescent power draw. They are always
on. I guess they could be used on a solar powered hotel in Las Vegas, or
some commercial resort facility.  They can be paralleled for significantly
larger sized systems as well.  They are designed for very significant
reliability. The AC in to dc battery charging circuits in them are
relatively small in proportion to there normal KVA ratings.  They have very
large monster contactors in them and do some very elegant switching, and
the sine waves they produce are ultra clean. The larger units are indeed
very impressive inverter units. I have heard that next year that Mitsubishi
will introduce there own grid intertie inverter, but have no details yet.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com