1547 - was Xantrex versus Sunny Boy [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Aug 15 11:16:23 PDT 2003

EH / Wrenches:

Sorry we have been slow to respond.  We were hosting a training seminar
here for the past couple of days.

IEEE 1547 Section 4.2.3 requires the inverters to monitor voltage from
line to neutral.
This is supposed to prevent a condition where one of the three phases
is substantially higher than the others.
The utility concern here is that an imbalance like this is essentially
a DC offset that causes transformers to saturate.
Unfortunately 1547 mandated a method of monitoring instead of saying
this is the condition you have to prevent.
In reality the SunnyBoy 2500 will detect this condition and will cease
to energize the grid (the intent of the requirement).
The problem with NYSIG and your project is that they insisting on
measuring the voltage to neutral instead of accepting the fact that we
meet the intent of the standard when we detect the problem and cease to
energize.

So for the moment you can use 1800's for 3 phase system in NY which
really isn't all that bad because the cost per Watt is slightly better
than the 2500 converted to 208 Vac.  For this project it is a pain in
the neck because it is already designed - thank you NYSIG.
In the medium term we are working with UL to develop a test procedure
to show we meet the intent of the IEEE requirement.
In the longer term we will add the voltage sense to neutral in the next
generation SB's which should be available some time next year.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> ehroy at solar-works.com 8/14/2003 09:53:11 AM >>>

Wrenches,

And you thought this thread was dead.

I have learned something in the last week or so that may enter into
these
considerations. Apparently a new interconnection standard was approved
couple months ago - IEEE 1547. New York utilities are using it to
prevent us
from connecting single phase inverters, like the Sunny Boy, to 3-phase
service (208 VAC). Something about no reference to neutral. I must
confess
that I have not had a chance to find or read IEEE 1547 yet, so I stand
to be
corrected on what it requires.

This is really biting us on a 50-school project in NY. Others having
similar
problems? Can someone from SMA address this issue and provide some
clarification? I know you guys have written a nice document on
connecting
Sunny Boy Inverters to 3-phase service (prior to IEEE 1547). Any input
on
this? Kent? John B.?

Thanks,

E. H. Roy