CSA Listing Question [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Aug 8 19:25:27 PDT 2003

Wrenches,
The first Xantrex SW Plus 2524 that I have seen is listed by CSA (US & C);
it lacks a UL or ETL listing. I asked Ray Barbee of Xantrex about this, and
his
response is below. In his last response he included a link to a document
that is
directly relevant to this topic, so check below if you are concerned about
this.
The document seems to settle the listing issue, but I'm still cautious about
less
enlightened inspectors looking for that UL mark.

I haven't encountered this situation before. Should we U.S. Wrenches
consider
this a problem?

Allan at +E

Previous correspondence (marginally amusing):

Hello again, Allan.
The document is now listed under the Tech Notes section of Document Depot on
the web.  The address would be
http://www.xantrex.com/support/docserve.asp?id=669.
Once again, I hope this helps.  Thanks
Ray

Hi Allan.
I looked for it and couldn't find it either.  I've asked the webmaster to
post it, and I'll let you know as soon as it's on there.  Hopefully this
morning.Thanks
Ray

Ray,
I looked for the attached tech doc on Xantrex' web site but couldn't find
it. Could you please supply its web address so that I can include the link
in my Wrenches post? Thanks. Allan

Ray,
My concern is the latter. This is a new issue for us, and the document you
attached helps a lot. I revised my Wrenches posting, and will forward you
a copy. Allan

Hi Allan,
No, I don't really see any problem with it - but thanks for asking first.
One question - is your hesitation due to a question in your mind that the
certification is valid, or from a standpoint that it may raise questions
from inspectors?

I've attached a pdf of a bulletin that Xantrex put out in April covering the
question.  Perhaps it will help. Thanks, Ray

Ray,
Do you see any problem with my posting the message below to the
RE-Wrenches list? Allan

Allan,
Yes, CSA is Canadian and Canada has their own set of standards (which
largely follow UL except in some marine applications), but they are
authorized to test to UL standards just as ETL or even the "for-profit" side
of UL.  Although we haven't encountered any issues with inspectors yet,
there is always the possibility of questions.  But even if the question is
raised, it should be fairly easily answered with a response from CSA
themselves.  I don't anticipate much of an issue, and we'll probably use
them more in the future.
Ray

  Ray,
  Isn't CSA a Canadian organization, certifying to Canadian standards? I
have never used anything with a CSA label, and I don't know if I should
expect trouble with an inspector. Is their mark as acceptable as UL or ETL?
  Thanks, Allan

    Hi Allan.
    CSA will do the regulatory testing on these units.  Some of the optional
accessories may go through UL, but most of the line will go through CSA.
    Thanks
    Ray

      Ray,
      I am just beginning to examine the unit, as it arrived today. First
question:
is this unit UL or ETL listed? All I see is CSA. if not, when will it be?
      Allan

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm