Using transformers at other voltages and Frequencies [RE-wrenches]

Daryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 07:38:00 PDT 2003

Thanks to everyone
For all the help with using a transformer at other
frequencies.

It appears it will work, at increased losses, and at
one half the power at 30 cycles, by using 1/2 the
voltage.  My application is I was hoping to use the
upper end of the power curve of the wild AC from a
wind machine.  HOwever I will need larger
transformers. The Outback is rated at 4kW at 60
cycles, and then would be only 2kW at 30 Hz.
Thanks DAryl
--- Hugh Piggott <yahoo at scoraigwind.co.uk> wrote:
> At 4:32 PM +0000 29/7/03, aerofirewp wrote:
> >Daryl
> >
> >   I would disagree with Jim about 30 hz being a
> problem ,
> >because of the fact that you are also halving the
> input voltage.As
> >long as the volts/hz  is the same or less you will
> not saturate the
> >core and draw excessive magnitizing current.
>
> I agree.  Halve the voltage and halve the frequency
> at the same time.
> I do this quite often.  The transformer will work
> fine but it is true
> that you can only put 1/4 the power through it at
> that voltage if you
> want to keep the same % efficiency (the same % of
> the power lost in
> the copper resistance).
>
> Buy a bigger transformer if you need one.  No need
> for a special one,
> so long as you watch the volts.
> --
> Hugh