Twisted-pair wires to reduce surges [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Jul 25 13:28:37 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Wrenches,

I have always heard that twisted-pair wires pick up much less induced
current from nearby fields. We all see twisted-pair telephone and
other audio lines designed to reduce AC hum pickup. It seems to be
well-accepted that twisting power wires makes a circuit safer from
lightning-induced surges. R Perez reported in Home Power long ago
that twisting the lines was more effective than shielding, per his
experiments.

I don't understand the principle.

I twisted some wires together for a distance of 150 feet and it was
not easy! I could have divided it into sections and twisted it in
opposing directions in each section, which would have made it very
easy, but since I don't understand the principle, I couldn't assure
that it would be effective.

Can anyone induce some understanding into my twisted mind?

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm