Digest for RE-wrenches at topica.com, issue 1164 [RE-wrenches]

Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar steve at backwoodssolar.com
Wed Jul 2 09:10:24 PDT 2003

Hey Sharkey: The plan for testing with two T-105 batteries woke me up.  I
remember testing a water well pump on a DR inverter with a "quick" set up of
small batteries, where the pump would not start.  However with a full
battery bank later installed, the same inverter WOULD start the same pump.
Two T-105 in series can supply large currents, but voltage drop is a lot
more than with a larger bank of 4 T-105 or two L-16, and can affect the
result.

Also beware the pump, if new, will be harder to start than after it has a
few hours on it. Some 120 volt pumps we sell will NOT start on the 1500 watt
inverter until after run a few minutes on a generator.  Then and thereafter,
they do start on the DR1512. But if its that close to the edge, perhaps a
larger inverter would be in order.
Steve Willey       steve at backwoodssolar.com
www.backwoodssolar.com