IPN Network Meters vs. OutBack [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Jun 20 11:34:07 PDT 2003

Phil Undercuffler wrote:

> And yes, I know that the MX60 has promised to do all the above in one
> tidy package.  But so far, most of the promised SYSTEM functionality
> remains vaporware (1 touch all input EQ, Smart Shunt, shared temp sense
> data, etc.) And the user interface is, well, clunky at best.

Sheesh - some people want it all immediately - but also want it to be
fully developed, tested and on-the-shelf at the same time...

Phil - you should have made time to come out here to MREF (Michael Welsh
says hello to all) before you complain about "vaporware". We have the
production HUB and MATEs on demo - we also have already completed two
OutBack trainings already which have included working HUBs - and the
response at each by all was very positive...

The "clunky" aspect of the MATE was in most part due to the lack of the
HUB being included - with the HUB included, the ability to jump from a
meter or setting on one inverter to the exact same meter or setting on
the next with a SINGLE button press - is simply amazing.

The new MATE software allows "one button" EQ and shared battery temp
comp sensors - which I think are nice items but not essential to the
operation of a system.  We still need to do some field testing of it,
admittedly.

As far as the availability of the Smart Shunt - It will be available
when it is done.... Not sooner...

Phil - I suggest you be careful with throwing around the term
"vaporware" around me again in the future...

If I seem upset - I am. It is very fustrating to put huge amounts of
effort and personal time into developing our products - and then have
people whine that its not available yet...

> Hey Rick--ever thought about turning your attention to inverters?

Yah Right!  I and the other OutBack guys have been doing inverters for
more than 10 years each and I am amazed at the surprises and lessons we
learn every day.

Building a MPPT compared to an inverter is like designing a bicycle
versus a racing car.  Yes - both can be complex - but one is a lot more
work and the consequences of it not being right is a whole lot
different.  Falling off a bike might hurt - but crashing at 200 MPH is
worse - same with MPPTs versus an inverter - if you make 200 vac instead
of 120 vac even for a second you can blow up an entire house of
appliances (or more...).

You also won't find us going on vacation for a month - for me, being
here at MREF is like a vacation... and we have over a dozen people
working at OutBack along with three people here at MREF.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA