Great! Source? NREL redbook? RE: Number of EC-110's in Series? [RE-w [RE-wre

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 10 13:10:55 PDT 2003

I've lived in Olympia for over 30 years now with an eye to the weather,
and find the following; The NREL red book gives the daily minimum low at
just under freezing. We get quite a bit lower than that every winter
(except one or two) and can easily be much lower than that in the middle
of the day. Some will argue that it's OK to use this number because if
the modules have sun on them they will be warmer. John indicated that it
doesn't take as much sun to come up to voltage as to warm the modules so
I think it's probably agree that it's not a low enough temperature to
use.

The record low temp in the NREL book is -8 deg F which has only been
seen on very rare occasions just before dawn (I remember the day - I was
on Mt St Helens) and then warming up considerable before the sun would
even have a chance to get onto the solar modules. It would certainly be
safe to use this number, but if you do, you will have trouble sizing an
array at all to meet the specs for some inverters (not SMA's which have
a good v range).

The number I prefer to use is from the ASHRAE handbook for heating
system sizing. I think this is what most heating people and architects
use. It gives a design low temp, which for Olympia is 10 deg F., right
where I had pegged it on my own (though we haven't seen that low a temp
for many years now - global warming?). It's conceivable that an array
here could actually see sunlight at that temperature, but I can't recall
any time in the past 30 years where it's likely that a solar array would
have seen sun at a lower temperature. So if the ASHRAE tables are as
good for other locations as for here I think it would be the right
figures to use, and it's certainly defensible to approving (or
dis-approving) agencies.

Brad

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com