Stacking FX2548s for 10 kW [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri May 16 11:10:23 PDT 2003

matthew tritt wrote:
> Is the 2548 connectible up to 10 kW, or is a balancing transformer
> required?

There already are quite a few FX2024 and FX2548s already in the field
operating in "quad" stacked configurations for up to 10 kW of continuous
AC power.

The X-240 autotransformer is only required when the system is supplying
120/240 vac.  It balances the AC load on the two 120 vac output legs and
allows the surge at 120 vac to come from both "sides" of the system.  It
is NOT mandatory for "dual" 120/240 vac series stacked systems (although
it is nice to have) but is required when stacking three or more
inverters in series/parallel.

Stacking the inverters in parallel only for 120 vac output never
requires the autotransformer.

The present limit on stacking is four inverters maximum in series or
parallel or both.  We will be testing and fielding our first "Dual-Quad"
system in the next few weeks - 20 kW 120/240 vac with less than 60 watts
of idle power consumption...

There are complete bills of materials and wiring diagrams on our website
of dual, quad and dual-quad systems for you to use and even modify (you
can download the autocad .dxf files from there).  Let us know if you
need anything else.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com