Cool sighting [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Apr 28 23:46:36 PDT 2003

Friends:

Sunday night, my wife and son were out of town and my helper was feeling
down, so to cheer him up, I offered to buy dinner.  One of my favorite
restaurants is near the Amtrak station in San Luis Obispo.  Freights stop
there for crew changes, and I saw the most unusual looking freight load on
a train there.  Mike and I walked closer to try and figure out what it was.
 We saw 10 of these huge, rounded white things, about two stories tall,
slightly wider than a flat car and as long.  Each of these objects was
connected together with a power cord connected to a GE Rents generator with
an outboard fuel tank.  Further on down the train were some huge shipping
containers with what looked like huge airplane propellers inside.  At this
time we guessed it was a load of 10 huge wind generators.  This was the
longest and weirdest train load I have ever seen.

I have a six year old son who is a train fanatic, so I have become one too.
 The best part of seeing this train, even above the excitement of seeing
all these new, huge wind generators, was the last car on the train.  As if
from out of the past, came a little red caboose.  Apparently this load was
so awkward and valuable that it merited a caboose so the conductor could
monitor the load!

The wind generators are made by Vestas.  Anyone know where these are going?
 The were northbound out of San Luis Obispo.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com