Sunny Boy Stats final [RE-wrenches]

joeldavidson at earthlink.net joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 08:39:50 PDT 2003

Robert,

Thank you for your detailed email. I hope SMA appreciates your efforts. SMA
makes good inverters and John Berdner is probably among the top 20
respected PV engineers, but...

Carrying a spare inverter should be like having a spare tire in your truck
or car. The spare is for emergency repairs, not a swap-out because your
regular inverter (or tires) are unreliable.

John remembers when I bought almost 300 Omnion 4 and 8 kW inverters in
1994-95 and 6% were DOA or failed in the first month. Call-backs were
killing our project budget. Turned out that Omnion's "burn-in" was running
an inverter overnight for around 8 hours on a bench supply at a fixed
voltage and current. This is not a very effective way to test PV inverters
that are subject to varying voltage and varying current and off/on
switching. I recommended that Onmion do a 3-day burn-in using a programed
power supply that randomly varies voltage, current and off/on switching.
Onmion engineers at Omnion agreed that factory testing and burn-in should
be at least 24 hours and variable, but they never changed their test
procedures.

The PV inverter company that has the best machine and the best QC will win
the market - and (listen up management) be able to charge a premium because
contractors will gladly pay more for a machine that does not require
call-backs.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson