Outback no load draw (long response) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Mar 11 14:54:29 PST 2003

A single OutBack FX2024 has a idle power draw (no load - full AC
sinewave output) of less than 20 watts - its typically around 18 watts
without the MATE display powered up.

The power draw in search mode is around 3 watts without the MATE.  A
little on the high side but that is because we put out 2 successive full
sinewave AC cycles in a row - it allows detection of certain AC loads
better.  The number of cycles per pulse, the time between the pulses and
the sensitivity are user adjustable to allow the search mode power
consumption to be reduced further if necessary.

When multiple inverters are connected in series or parallel for higher
voltage/power the idle power consumption does not increase
proportionally to the number of inverters.  We automatically turn off
the excess inverter capacity to improve the power conversion efficiency
at lower AC load levels.  This system is simple to setup and fully
adjustable.  There are many multiple inverter systems already in the
field working perfectly - both "dual" inverter and a few "quad" systems
with four inverters in a series/parallel configuration for a total of 8
kW @ 120/240 VAC.

The X-240 autotransformer is an option on 120/240 systems.  It allows
the master inverter to turn off all of the slave inverters while keeping
up both 120 VAC output legs.  Since the power draw of the X-240 is lower
than even a single slave inverter it saves a little power.  The X-240
also allows the AC loads to be balanced on the two inverters even though
you have the inverters connected in series.  So with two FX2024 in a
120/240 VAC system you can run 4 kW at 120 VAC on either AC output leg
and the idle power is about 35 watts. The master still can also still
use the search mode even with the X-240 installed and the X-240 also can
balance the generator when it is running BTW.

So - a 8kW 120/240VAC "quad" FX system with the X-240 has a idle power
draw of about about 41 watts - 20 watts for the master + 12 for the
X-240 + 3 watts per slave.

The maximum AC pass through of the built in AC transfer switch is 100
amps at 120/240VAC with the quad system - but that is another topic I
should discuss separately.

We also have just updated the spec sheet on our website with the
information on the new 48 vdc version - the FX2548 - yep - 2500 watts!

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA