Protecting Trace inverters [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Sun Feb 23 10:21:04 PST 2003

I have a question about protecting Trace inverters from possible input
spikes from a diesal generator. I recently had to send in two Trace
SW-4548E's for internal AC board replacement, which Trace would not
warranty. They acknowledged that I had it wired correctly (I used a
Trace paralleling transformer), but said since the same fault was found
in both inverters (which had previously worked trouble-free for one
year), that "it had to be an external problem."
 Now, if it was a spike which took out these power boards, how big a
capacitor (or maybe an MOV or SOV??) should I install to protect against
this happening again? The generator is a 15 kW, and is just one year
old, and seems to be just fine. But I have never put a scope on it to
see if I might be getting any surges or spikes.
 My next question is, if this is something which ought to be done to
prevent the same problem later on, why doesn't Trace provide an internal
filter on the AC power board? How many other people have had this
problem?
Robert Warren
robert.warren at solarcentury.co.uk

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
> >Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com