NABCEP [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty pvpro at attbi.com
Thu Dec 19 12:57:42 PST 2002

Joel / Wrenches:

Congratulations on the 1967 thing!

Joel asked:

> Does NABCEP have a Q&A book that I can study?

Not to my knowledge.

For the record:  I am not a NABCEP member.  I am not a NABCEP Board Member.
I have had the opportunity to review most drafts distributed since about
March of 2001.  I have provided some comments relative the content and the
process, both directly and indirectly.  I must say that the current
structure of the process, requirements, qualifications, etc. is FAR better
because of the Stakeholder Comment opportunities than it first was.

Through the early versions I was of the opinion that Bill Brooks wrote the
whole thing himself and was going to be the only holder of a NABCEP
Certification card in the country.  Seriously.  Sorry Bill, but it's true.

I believe that there are a number of issues creating the polarization on
this topic.  The most significant is the fear that it will become mandatory.
Like Bill B said earlier, the CEC was mis-guided in proposing mandatory
certification.  Well intentioned maybe, but mis-guided.  NYSERDA and other
agencies may be mis-guided as well.  Or, perhaps, we only know part of the
story.

Case in point:  NYSERDA may be "working" with NABCEP in developing the
requirements for participation in their rebate program.  I would view their
seeking input as positive instead of just making up regulations in a
vacuumous cubicle.  Does that mean they will say that NABCEP certification
is required?  I hope not.  I also hope NABCEP board-members hope not.

In either case, when these "possibilities" arise, we, the industry and
NABCEP, have a duty to redirect this line of thinking.  I know New York and
other East Coast states and localities have onerous licensure requirements
anyway.  Probably made up in vacuumous cubicles.

Which leads me to ask:  How come all the 60 Minutes, 48 Hours and 20/20 "Bad
Contractors Exposed" programs I see are from those states?  From what I see,
all the "Bad Contractors" are not located in New York.  OK, back on
topic.....

If we don't "bust their vacuums" and let the light in, we are to blame.

2 Cents

Pray for Sun!

-Matt Lafferty
pvpro at attbi.com

PS - I prayed for it at 2:00 AM this morning and I guess nobody was
listening!  22 W/m2 an hour ago.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm