PV Shingle Costs [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 15:48:49 PST 2002

Approx. $4/sq. ft. installed price for regular shingles versus $15 to $60
per sq. ft. for PV modules and that's just for the uninstalled PV array. I
did Uni-Solar metal roofing in 1996 at $20/sq. ft. for the SSR120 panels and
$50/sq. ft. for the installed system.

PV roofs and non-PV roofs do different things. Do the comparison from the
other direction. How many negative kilowatt-hours does a non-solar roof
cost? These comparisons remind me of an old vaudeville joke. "How's your
wife?" "Compared to what?" Ba-da-boom.

Eric Smiley wrote:

> David,
>
> I have to agree with Joel. An economic analysis can be a waste of time.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com