PV Shingle Costs [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 09:12:27 PST 2002

Dear David,

I wasted thousands (yes, thousands) of hours doing economic analyses for
so-called customers who never bought. Uni-Solar employees also spent a lot of
time crunching numbers to no avail. My advice is don't waste your time.

I tell prospects that PV does not cost money. PV is the only part of a home
that actually makes money and adds resale value to the property.

Then I tell prospects that PV added to a mortgage or equity loan is a
no-brainer if (1) you really want solar, (2) have a good solar site and (3)
have the money or are credit-worthy.

Then I give them the irrefutable details. A PV system added to a 30-year
mortgage for new construction, refinancing or a construction loan makes
economic sense because the monthly added cost to pay for the PV, even with
interest, is less than the cost of the utility electricity that the PV offsets.

If this statement does not appeal to your customer, I'll be you $10 that they
do not buy PV. If they agree and buy PV, then you owe me a picture of the
system :-)

Go for it and good luck.

Happy Holidays.
Joel Davidson

David Blecker wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A customer asked how the economics of PV shingles work if she includes some
> solar energy during a planned roof replacement.  My always-professional
> response was to stare back blankly and smile.
>
> So how about it?  Do you start with a PV perspective and subtract the
> square footage costs of conventional roofing material that will instead be
> covered with PV to come up with a "net" PV cost?  Do you start with a
> roofer's perspective and add the cost of PV into the roof materials cost to
> show the incremental cost of PV?   And finally, has anyone figured this out
> already?
>
> David

> David Blecker, P.E., Director
> Seventh Generation Energy Systems