NABCEP & Training [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Wed Nov 27 19:18:06 PST 2002

<x-flowed>
Graham,
There will be neither dues nor membership. There will be fees to
apply for certification, taking the test, and recertification.
Nothing is solid yet (or even written down) , but I've heard
discussions like $50. app.fee, $200 test, and $50 recert every three
years kicked around. My guess is that it won't be any lower than
that. There are real costs involved in processing an application and
especially in checking the bona fides. If we didn't do that, the
whole thing would be worthless. Testing is expensive! While
developing the test is mostly volunteer, there are testing facility
fees, proctoring, grading, printing and much more. Security is a BIG
factor. Revising the test often to a) keep up with current technology
and b) discourage cheating will ALWAYS be an ongoing cost. I'm
learning more about all this crap that I ever wanted to know.
Other revenue streams may include study guides, T-shirts, hats, and
that sort of swag. All that stuff will be optional, of course. NABCEP
is set up as a non-profit organization. The long term (very long
term) goal is for it to cover it's own expenses. Until that time, our
operating budget will likely have to come from State and Federal
gooberment. That doesn't tickle me to death, but it is what it is.
Again, I see it is my job to keep a dialog going with we Wrenches as
long as there are questions to be pondered and opinions to be opined.
Everyone should feel free to contact Don, Ezra, or me on or off list.
We want to give the Wrenches a voice-a damn strong voice-in NABCEP.
Keep it coming...
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Best, bob-O

--