Pump choices [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Mon Nov 25 19:52:09 PST 2002

Jeff, I've had experience with the AeroVironment inverter in Africa. Did
a 5hp 230' lift, 15,000 gpd system two-three years ago. Sweet, simple,
and reliable. This inverter runs standard off-the-shelf 120v, 240v,
single-phase, or (preferred) 208v 3-phase pumps. The pumps are less
efficient, but they'll never need service, which is a very, very good
thing where you're going! The AeroVironment wants series strings of 20
modules. Their tech support (Brian Jensen) is great, and we've had no
trouble with the inverter to date. Unfortuneately, my guys ran their
well more or less dry after a year or so. It hadn't been pumped since
the 1960s, so they were just guessing(wishing?) how much it would
produce.
  With these hard to service installations in developing countries it's
not a good idea to install any components that need regular service. It
won't happen. They'll run it till it breaks.

Best regards,
Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor

Jeff Lahl wrote:
> Wrenches,
> I'm hoping for some advice from you guys with a lot of
> water pumping experience. We're going to be putting in
> 3 PV-powered submersible well systems in Africa that
> have a total head of about 175' and need to produce
> about 5,000gpd at about a 5.5 peak hour average. In
> trying to evaluate the following 3 systems that have
> been proposed to us, I have a 2-part question:
> 1. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with
> the following pump systems?
> 2. Are there some other pumps we should be
> considering?
>
> The systems are:
> A. Teel, 1hp, 230vac with Franklin pump controller and
> AeroVironment USPC. 2kWp PV array
> B. Monoflo "Sun-Pro" 150vdc,8amp with MPPT controller
> C. Kyocera SC1000 135vdc, 14.19 amp with MPPT
> controller.
>
> Because of the remote locations and the importance of
> water supply to the villages, we're putting maximum
> value on life and reliability and are willing to spend
> what it takes to get the best system.
>
> All input will be appreciated.
>
> Jeff Lahl
> Solar Electric Light Fund

> Yahoo! Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
> http://mailplus.yahoo.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm