pool pump and sunnyboy/sw4048 hybrid [RE-wrenches]

Pat Redgate solarpro at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 18:03:20 PST 2002

Keith:

On the pool pump issue, here's my advice..
Get yourself a two speed Whisperflo by Pentair
(http://www.pentairpool.com/pool_products/pumps/residential/whisper_flo.htm)

The commonly held notion that pool circulation is essential to eliminate
algae is only partially true.  You can run your pump 24/7 and algae will grow
if your pH and/or Cl is wacky.  I turn my Whisperflo on for only four hours a
week in the winter months (I do not know if you could do that in Hawaii) and
have no problems with algae. I run it for only six hours a day in the summer.
You really only need a pump to operate the filter, which removes particulate
and suspended matter.  It also disperses chemical agents and so helps in the
fight against bacteria and algae.  If you reduced pump time until the water
seemed unclean due to particulates you might be pushing it, but by no means
will algae start growing just because of reduced pump time.  If you put in a
two speed pump, you could operate the pump on lower speed under for most of
the time and increase its speed when you are adding chemicals or have had
activity in the pool.

Algae growth is not so much an issue if the pool is cool (less than F 75).  I
hope this helps.

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
Long Beach, CA