PS2512 woes [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 21 23:16:47 PST 2002

> Actually, Outback does plan to offer the FX in 12V at some point.

Yes we have already built a 12 vdc version and it did over 6000 km on
the front of a range rover across Australia a few months ago.  It is
still running strong, now in Hawaii at this present time.  The OutBack
FX2012 will be targeted at the RV/Marine market and will include
neutral-ground switching (which can be defeated in the field for fixed
installations).  It was not included in the current product catalog
because its not an AE targeted product specifically.

> Given the choice right now, I'd look at the Statpower Prosine 2000
> over the PS2512 if you HAD to stay with 12V. Sometimes you do.

An issue on the ProSine 2.0  is it only has a 30 amp transfer switch and
the charger uses something like 20 amps of it to put out its rating.  It
also starts to "back off" the charger when the AC load reaches 24 amps
and when completely backed off it draws 5 amps DC from the battery even
though the generator is running...

It also is hard to install per the NEC (if that is required).  Has any
one actually seen a Prosine 2.0 DC side Conduit adapter?

The performance of the 24 vdc PS series is very different than the 12
vdc version.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com