Ground fault [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Sat Nov 16 18:37:08 PST 2002

matthew tritt wrote:
> Well explained! So, in the interest of preventing just a few fires, why
> leave the choice of to protect, or not protect up to the buyer? If
> they're cheap and effective, what's the harm in building them into the
> controller?

I am glad you replied back in such a gracious manner - I took my
medication today....

The only problem with installing the GFP into the PV controller is that
is not always the best spot for them.  I prefer them to be co-located
with the other disconnects in the system so it is fairly easy to notice
if they trip off.  Also - some times there are many controllers in a
system doing different things...

We have looked at offering a small enclosure for our GFP but haven't had
the time to do one yet.  I have seen a number of decent installs in
Trace DC250s (with the handle out a side knockout - similar to the other
side mounted breakers).  Its ironic that the OutBack GFP can be easily
used in the Trace disconnect,  but the Trace PV-GFP can not.

We are looking at making a smaller / lower cost version of our PSDC
enclosure for just two FX2000 / one SW inverter(s). Suggestions are
always welcome at OutBack.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com