Power System Mounting Plates [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Nov 15 22:53:24 PST 2002

Christopher:

Exactly what I was thinking.  What is the problem with a conductive
backboard?  The concept seems good to me.

One problem about pre-manufactured backboards:  They don't fit all
installation scenarios.  For example, where can I get a pre-manufactured
backboard to install: 1 Heart interface 24-2500, one Xantrex DC250, one
Iota 24-25 charger and one Square D 6 circuit load center?

The outback panels look pretty cool, but as I mentioned when I visited your
shop, I'd prefer that the inverters have KOs spaced a standard distance out
from the back so we can use standard, off-the-shelf AC distribution if
necessary or preferred.

I would like to rant about the Trace power panels for a paragraph, if I
may:  I always disliked the Trace power panels.  I have installed only one
and I had to disassemble it to lift it into place.  The 5548 weighs about
500 pounds.  The manual says, "go get a friend to help..." (it really says
that).  The installation required 5 C40 controllers and a custom combiner
for the C40 outputs, none of which could fit on the back board.  The back
board required plywood to mount it to anyway, so there was no savings
there.  And lastly, the bypass switches seem to be a waste.  If I want a
bypass switch, I'd prefer it bypass both legs of AC at once.

There, I feel better already.   Thanks!

William

At 01:28 AM 11/16/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Not sure of why people are concerned about mounting system electrical
>components to a metal mounting plate - I always want to ensure that all
>of the component's metal enclosures are bonded together - in fact it is
>a NEC requirement to ground all of the enclosures together.  Using a
>metal back plate makes this easier to achieve and is more robust than a
>bunch jumper wires and terminals IMHO.  When it includes prepuched holes
>for the components being used in the right places - the saved time can
>easily "pay" for the cost of the mounting plate.
>
>As far as making your own metal/plywood plate or buying a premade
>product - it depends on how much you value your time and the quality you
>want the final installation to present.  Plywood isn't free and neither
>is your time ...  and having a system look good can make the critical
>difference when a picky electrical inspector arrives.
>
>Christopher Freitas

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com