Module grounding revisited ad nauseum [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Mon Nov 4 21:15:02 PST 2002

Steve,

Like thin aluminum, the structural strength of composites depends a lot on its section (cross sectional form) and method of joining various pieces. Also like aluminum, the life of the part depends entirely on it's weather proofing qualities. By including the appropriate amount of UV stabilizers and inhibitors in the resin portion of the composite, extremely long life in all climates is achieved without the need for a protective coating.

Also, if you consider the tremendous amount of energy needed to create aluminum in the first place (one of the complaints of the people who claim that photovoltaics can never off-set the energy consumed in their fabrication) composites make infinite sense. Concerning direct hits by lightning (or even near ones) how many of you can remember
any incident at all where lightning hit a TV antenna? As I remember, Ben Franklin was in a rain storm, standing in a wet field, grounded, when he got lightning to zap the string.

Matt