Tax Credits [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Thu Oct 31 13:16:17 PST 2002

Steve and Wrenches,

Yes, Chelan County PUD has a Sustainable Natural Alternative Power (SNAP)
program that pays up to $1.50/kWh for RE produced in Chelan County.  Below
is a synopsis of the program.  For details, check the Chelan County PUD web
page (www.chelanpud.org) or contact the program originator at the PUD, Jim
White (509-667-4216, jamesa at chelanpud.org.)  Last April we received
$1.50/kWh for our RE power.  We anticipate receiving between $1 and $1.50
next April - a 10kW Bergey we installed for a customer is really cranking
and diluting the fund :).

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People
140 Columbia View
Chelan, WA  98816
509-682-9646
Randy at BrooksSolar.com
www.BrooksSolar.com

"A synopsis of the Chelan County PUD Sustainable Natural Alternative Power
(SNAP) program

The SNAP program has two parts, purchasers and producers.

Purchasers are Chelan County Public Utility District (PUD) customers who
contribute an additional $2.50 or more each billing cycle to support and
promote renewable energy (solar, wind, and micro-hydro) production within
Chelan County.  Purchasers are in affect, buying the renewable energy
generated by the producers.  This money goes into a fund that is used to pay
producers a premium for the renewable energy they supply to the Chelan
County PUD power grid.  100% of the funds contributed are used for this
purpose within Chelan County.

Producers are Chelan County PUD customers who install a renewable energy
system that is connected to the Chelan County PUD power grid.  The renewable
energy system includes a UL listed inverter and must be properly permitted
and inspected before being connected to the grid.  Unlike net metering, all
of the power produced is fed into the power grid.  A power production meter,
separate from the resident's consumption meter, measures 100% of the power
produced.  The PUD meter reader reads both meters as part of their normal
meter route.

    Costs to become a producer include the cost of the renewable energy
system, a one-time $100 meter connection fee, and a $3.65 basic meter fee
each month.

    Producers are paid:
    - 75% of Chelan County PUD's average wholesale rate for power (Dow Jones
Mid-Columbia Firm Index for Light Load Hour (LLH)), plus
    - A pro rata share of the purchaser fund, up to a maximum of $1.50 per
kilowatt hour (kWh.)  Money remaining in the fund is held to pay for future
renewable energy production.  A pro rata share means that if you generate 5%
of the total renewable power, you get 5% of the total contributions, up to a
maximum of $1.50 per kWh.  Since we purchase PUD power for $.028 per kWh,
this is a tremendous payback over a "net metered" system (where renewable
energy is fed through the customers consumption meter and turns the meter
backward, resulting in $.028 per kWh payback.)

    To reduce administrative costs, producers are paid annually in April.

This innovative program is "cutting edge" energy policy on a national scale.
It not only gives Chelan County residents the opportunity to show their
support for renewable energy, but also greatly encourages the installation
of renewable energy systems and moves Chelan County toward a more diverse,
distributed, and sustainable power generation system.  For a detailed
information packet, contact Chelan County PUD Energy Services Dept:
509-667-4205

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com