Horror Stories in time for Halloween [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Oct 29 10:22:34 PST 2002

Bill,

How do you accurately determine which systems are bad and which are good?
Who decides this, the homeowner, the utility, the inspector? If a system
fails to live up to an advertised claim of performance (which will probably
be way more that your hypothetical 20%) it could also be from a number of
other
circumstances, such as unexpectedly low insolation, (smog, contrails, smoke,
etc.), failure to keep panels clean (like most installations on inaccessible
roofs), periods of very hot weather, bad utility conditions, and so on.

No amount of certification will eradicate poor system performance entirely
in even the most careful of installations. I have seen several very tidy
installs done by good installers with Zomeworks trackers which will only
live up to expectations if the arrays are tied-off in windy weather. I have
also seen Sunnyboys installed on a south-facing board with insufficient
spacing between the inverter top and overhead sun protection. Sometimes even
good wrenches don't read the instructions. Everyone makes inadvertent errors
in judgment no matter how well trained they feel themselves to be. It just
happens. The important thing is to avoid thinking yourself infallible,
certification or not.

I feel that long experience is the only true way to really learn any
particular discipline. Maybe your certification requirements need to include
a minimum time in trade before you can even take the test.
There are a lot of us who wouldn't mind that a bit.

Matt