NABCEP Call for comments [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Thu Oct 24 21:02:01 PDT 2002

For me to qualify to take the California test I needed 4 years of full time or 8
years of part time (counted at 50%) work or any combination. The specific
description is as follows:

C-10 Electrical contractor.
An electrical contractor places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires,
fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or
any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy
in any form or for any purpose.

I submitted the following work to qualify... only ONE of which was supervised
"romex" electrical work.  I thought most of what I submitted was stretching the
definition, especially when I embellished the electrical parts of the work, which
was usually a pretty minor part but they accepted it.

Jefferson Public Radio, Chief Engineer
16 months (full time)
4 months (part time) ¸ 2 = 2 months
Total applicable work experience for application = 18 months

Related work performed:
Installing 120 / 240 VAC feed power for transmitters
Installing building main and sub panels
Running conduit & wire
Circuit sizing
Grounding circuitry
Lightning protection
Circuit breaker installation and repair
Design, Installation and troubleshooting of:
Tower lighting circuits, antenna deicing power feeds and control circuitry, RF
transmitters, building electrical feeds, building heating and air conditioning
electrical circuits, building lighting circuits, generator and transfer switch
circuits, solar electric (photovoltaic) systems, standard voltage single (split)
and 3 phase, high voltage electrical circuits, step up / down transformers

Sanguinetti Electric
39 months (part time to April 2002) ¸ 2 = 19.5 months
Total applicable work experience for application = 19.5 months

Related work performed:
Wood framed new (residential home) and commercial construction wiring (over 30
buildings) and remodel work, which includes:
Installing 120 / 240 volt single and 3 phase building main and sub panels
Running conduit & wire
Circuit sizing
Grounding circuitry
Circuit balancing
Reading electrical blueprints / plans
Circuit breaker installation and repair
Design, Installation and troubleshooting of:
Resistance baseboard heating, air conditioning / heat pumps, stoves, ranges, water
heaters, exhaust fans, rough wiring and make up, electrical trim (switches,
receptacles etc.), appliance and fixture installation and connection, smoke
detectors, step up / down transformers, generators and transfer switches, emergency
and exit lighting

Electron Connection
18 months (part time) ¸ 2 = 9 months
Total applicable work experience for application = 9 months

Related work performed:
Wood framed new (residential home) construction wiring (on and off grid systems)
and remodel work, which included:
Adding AC circuits to building main panels
Adding AC sub panel feeds from inverter / generator systems
Moving circuits from AC grid powered electrical panels to inverter / generator fed
AC sub panels
Running conduit & wire
Circuit sizing
Grounding circuitry
Energy efficiency / load reduction
Lightning protection
Circuit balancing
AC (120 / 240 volt) and DC (12 to 48 volt) power systems
AC & DC Circuit breaker installation and repair
Design, Installation and troubleshooting of:
Solar electric panel (photovoltaic) power systems, solar electric trackers, DC
maximum power point trackers, DC charge controllers, AC sine wave and modified sine
wave inverters, generators, linear current boosters, transfer switches, remote
metering, remote generator controls, step up / down transformers, lead acid based
DC electrical power storage systems and chargers

Synergics- Box Canyon Hydroelectric Dam
30 months (part time to April 2002) ¸ 2 = 15 months
Total applicable work experience for application = 15 months

Related work performed:
Commercial wiring (on and off grid systems) and remodel work, which includes:
Adding AC circuits to plant main and sub panels
Adding AC sub panel feeds from inverter / generator systems
Moving circuits from AC grid powered electrical panels to inverter / generator fed
AC sub panels
Running conduit & wire
Circuit sizing
Grounding circuitry
Circuit balancing
Reading and modifying plant schematics and electrical drawings / blueprints
AC (120 / 208 and 4200 volt) single and 3 phase power systems
DC (120 volt) power systems
AC & DC Circuit breaker installation and repair
Design, Installation and troubleshooting of:
AC modified sine wave inverter, 20 kW Kohler generator, dual power transfer switch
systems, remote metering, remote generator controls, step up / down transformers,
lead acid based DC electrical power storage systems and chargers / charge
controller, 3 phase motor starter, control and protection circuitry, standard
(incandescent, fluorescent and HID) and emergency / exit lighting systems,
resistance electrical heating systems, ventilation systems, elevator electrical
control and operation systems

Qualifying work time totals:
Jefferson Public Radio  18
Sanguinetti Electric     19.5
Electron Connection       9
Synergics                      15
Total                              61.5 months or 5.125 years

"Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design" wrote:

> I am all for requiring licenses IF AND ONLY IF my 18-plus years
> experience working on PV and other RE electrical systems of all types
> and sizes both commercial and residential is honored toward that
> license.  (I am presently in the process of seeing exactly how my
> present experience stacks up to the CA requirements)

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com