flat plate collector specs [RE-wrenches]

solarpro at aol.com solarpro at aol.com
Wed Oct 23 19:59:03 PDT 2002

Tom:

I agree with you on every point.  Finally someone encapsulated the
characteristics for the perfect collector.  BUT...

I have come to the conclusion that a black chromed absorber can be somewhat
of a curse for its owner.  The blessings of such an absorber are multiple,
but climates such as ours (SoCal) lead to stagnation during the dog days of
summer.  Black chromed or selective surface nickel plated panels can stagnate
to unbelievable temps, in excess of F 200.  This leads to expansion problems
and liming of the water ways, valve failure and accelerates insulation
degradation.  Even the tank and its connections are severely affected,
despite high limit temp protection. The first systems that froze after the
solar frenzy of the early eighties were the installations without freeze
protection, but the next to go (in short order) were the black chromed high
performing panels with small waterways that had limed out because of trapped
fluid in the waterways.  Hence I agree that large (0.5" min) waterways are
key to reliability.  Although located in So Cal, we had been installing
almost exclusively panels made in Florida during the eighties because for
some strange reason the makers in FLA understood that half inch risers were
important, while most western manufacturers did not seem to think so.  Almost
all of our flat plate problems have occurred with Novan, Sun Resource and
Colt, whose designers' philosophy was bent to high performance by multiplying
the shear number of risers without increasing their diameter, and black
chromed absorbers for better D+ SRCC ratings.

Our experience with black chromed panels induced our firm to become a Gulf
Thermal dealer.  The KYSM series was built like a tank, and the absorber
coating was a semi-selective black paint.  The higher than average insulation
characteristics allowed the GT to compete with and exceed the performance of
BC panels right up to the F 160's.  Although low profile (no way was the air
gap between absorber and glass 1.5") these panels not only kicked ass, we
have had to repair (braze) only one in the twenty years since we installed
them.  Still waiting for that second panel to fail.

Another cupla pennies.

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
www.amecosolar.com