Monitoring PV for public education [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Sun Sep 29 17:57:59 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Graham,

The SunnyBoy add-on control/data collection unit will probably do the
lion's share (if not all) of the data collection that you need.  Have you
talked to John Berdner regarding how far their standard data monitoring
hardware and software can take you?

In your case, it sounds as if you will need someone who knows how to write
a good kiosk interface, who's also not intimidated by figuring out how to
work with the data provided by the SBs.  You'll probably be happier finding
someone who does these types of kiosks, and having them come up to speed on
the necessary RE concepts, than it would be to find someone who knows RE
monitoring and have them learn how to program a kiosk.

If you can design your kiosk around the monitoring info that the SunnyBoy's
provide, (thereby not requiring a second data collection interface) your
cost will be much lower and your headaches far less.  If you can get
someone in your area to do all the software programming for that type of
scope within the $8-12K range, I'd think that would be a very good deal
from my experience.  Don't be surprised if the quotes come back higher,
which is another reason to keep the hardware simple.  Then the only other
costs should be the standard SB monitoring hardware and software, which
should be straightforward to budget.  And of course the computer and
display hardware.

Just my $0.02.

John Raynes

At 06:16 PM 9/29/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey Guy's,
>
>The system that needs monitoring is only 6 kW and will be installed on
>an Integrated Waste Management building owned by a medium sized city.
>They have an educational center on site, with worms and composters,
>recycling kiosks, etc. The building is open to the public and school
>kids are frequently bussed in.  They want real-time monitoring on a CRT
>or equivalent and even a means for kids to shade or disorient they array
>to watch the fluctuations.  This will be a fun job.  The city is more
>interested in the system monitoring capabilities than the energy
>contribution to their municipally owned grid.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Graham Owen
>GO Solar

- - - -