balancing output from multiple controllers [RE-wrenches]

Brian C. White brianw at connectenergy.org
Tue Sep 24 14:49:40 PDT 2002

Wrenches:

Yes, we are still maufacturing the PC500 as well as the PC250 that
handles up to 120 Amps with 2 sub arrays, and now comes standard with
digital metering.

William,
The primary charge circuit in both the PC500 & PC250 are Pulse Width
Modulated and the secondary circuits are relay activated. So the PWM
module would actually taper the batteries.

Contact me off list if you should have any further questions.

William Miller wrote:
> Wrenches:
>
> Two sub-headings come to mind on this topic:  Balancing charge
> controllers
> and balancing SW inverters in sell mode.
>
> Balancing systems with two SW inverters in sell mode is a nightmare and
> should be addressed by Xantrex (we could add it to our long wish list,
> but
> the whole concept of that wish list is now a joke, seeing how little
> good
> it did and how much time we spent).
>
> John, in regards to the Pulse charge controllers, were these relay
> activated?  If so, how does one taper with these?
>
> William Miller
>

> At 03:47 PM 9/23/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >Wrenches:
> >
> >The multiple controller problem was addressed in the Power Centers we
> >built at Pulse (now Connect Energy).
> >They used one master control board to control multiple sub-arrays in a
> >closed loop fashion.
> >The off-the-shelf PC 500 could do up to 240 Amps with 4 sub-arrays at
> >12,24, or 48 Vdc and you had coordinated bulk / float / equalize.
> >The largest custom unit we ever did was 400 Amps at 240 Vdc with 6 sub
> >arrays.  That one was not quite off-the-shelf but it worked great.
> >
> >I am not sure if they are still building them but it might be worth a
> >call.
> >
> >If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance,
> >please do not hesitate to contact me.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >
> >John Berdner
> >
> >SMA America, Inc.
> >20830 Red Dog Road
> >Grass Valley, CA  95945
> >530.273.4595 (voice)
> >530.274.7271 (fax)

> William Miller
> Miller Power and Communications
> PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
> Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
> email: wrmiller at slonet.org
> http://millerpowerandcomm.com
> License No. C-10-773985
> Compatibility:
> Word processor: WP7
> Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
> CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
> "Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
>                                     H. L. Mencken

Brian C. White
Mechanical Design / Technical Sales
Connect Energy
www.connectenergy.org

If I can be of further help, please contact me directly.
530-271-1919 x.106
brianw at connectenergy.org

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com