Onan 3.6kw 120vac generator. [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Fri Sep 20 15:12:23 PDT 2002

Todd and all,
   In this case, the Onan was purchased by my customer directly and the
dealer knew it was for an off grid house.  My customer asked me if Onans were
good generators and unfortunately I told him that I had heard they were good.
 The smaller output was hopefully to use less fuel but I am not happy with 12
amps.  I have a 2200 watt Kawasaki that easily puts out 16 amps (19 amps
trips the 20 amp breaker but the engine handles it OK) and it ran my house
for two years.

Thanks everybody for your comments.  I guess I will stick with my econo
Yamaha 5200 which will do 28 amps.  I have a customer who wanted to get rid
of his Yamaha to go with a larger generator for full SW charging and bought
and 8.5kw Kohler and so far has replaced the generator, starter and a circuit
board.  So much for robustness.  So far all the Yamahas I have sold are still
working fine, including the Trade-in which I am using at my house.  We tried
using the T240 to boost the output but just ended up tripping the 220 breaker
with only a couple amps extra available.  Still can't quite get to 30.   I
just set them all up at 25 amps (over 100 amps amps DC at 24V at initial
charge) and make sure my customers know how to reprogram the charge rate if
they have to reboot.  I convert most of them to propane and get much better
output than the 6000 watt Honda propane version.  $2500 selling price for a
reasonable propane generator is OK in my book.  Till I hear of one brand that
always keeps running,  I will stubbornly resist the big boys.  I am a VW
driver from way back (Geo Metro now) (52MPG).  The secret is still using less
than 100kWhrs per month in your home and not needing the extra charge rate.

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar and Wind

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com