[RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Tue Sep 17 07:59:50 PDT 2002

Greetings Nick,

I was interested in your take on the Modified Square Wave vs. SW
inverter and differences in their ability to provide robust charge
rates.  I have always felt that it was the lack of peak voltage from the
gen-set that limited the charge current, not squarish/v/sine at the
inverter end.  Unless it is a switching type inverter/charger, the
device is using a transformer as the primary means to change voltage.
To use a 12 volt inverter as an example, there is essentially a 10 to 1
winding in the transformer.  You put 12 volts in, you get 120 out.  On
the charger end, you put 120 in and you get 12 volts out.  Based on
this, if all you put in was 120 volts, you couldn't charge the battery
above 12 volts, and as battery voltage approached 12VDC charge current
would fall off.  Peak power is where the real ability to charge comes
from and cheaper or smaller gen-sets don't deliver.  I have always
thought this was true of modified square wave as well as sine, if they
are both transformer based.

I have also heard about "developing" the plates, although I always
wondered if this wasn't just battery manufacturer gibberish when a new
battery doesn't seem to be living up to its stated capacity.

In any case, I still like to use Mods in some system designs, and when
properly matched to a gen-set they can provide decent charge current.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions