Union Push [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 29 08:19:47 PDT 2002

The California Solar Energy Industries Association (CAL SEIA) has weighed in
with all stakeholders to let legislators know we're not in favor of this
wording, but Les Nelson reports that the "Renewable Portfolio Standard has a
life of its own, to some extent (without CAL SEIA support, Les adds),
largely owing to those who want 'renewables' without concern about whether
all renewables can participate." I am not sure what Les means, but I am sure
that any renewables portfolio is better than nothing.
Joel Davidson
"Not all change is for the better, but nothing gets better without change."

Graham Owen wrote:

> This may concern California wrenches,
>
> Buried deep down and embodied in the recently amended SB 1078, which
> relates to renewable energy there has been a perhaps un-noticed change
> of wording.  State funded RE projects will be considered “Public Works”.
>  I believe this includes all CEC funded solar installations and from my
> reading of the Labor code relating to “Public works”, all jobs over
> $1,000 will require prevailing wages.
>
> Below is the wording from SB 1078 as well as the Code relating to public
> works labor.
>
> BILL NUMBER: SB 1078    AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY  AUGUST 23, 2002
>
> (h) Construction, alteration, demolition, installation, and repair
> work, on an eligible renewable energy resource, that receives
> production incentives or supplemental energy payments pursuant to
> Section 383.5, including, but not limited to, work performed to
> qualify, receive, or maintain production incentives or supplemental
> energy payments is "public works" for the purposes of Chapter 1
> (commencing with Section 1720) of Part 7 of Division 2 of the Labor
> Code.
>
> CALIFORNIA CODES
> LABOR CODE
> SECTION 1770-1780
>
> 1771.  Except for public works projects of one thousand dollars
> ($1,000) or less, not less than the general prevailing rate of per
> diem wages for work of a similar character in the locality in which
> the public work is performed, and not less than the general
> prevailing rate of per diem wages for holiday and overtime work fixed
> as provided in this chapter, shall be paid to all workers employed
> on public works.
>

> Graham Owen
> GO Solar

- - - -