the insanity of grounding DC side [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Tue Aug 27 06:37:32 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
>Hugh could probably jump in here, but I think Europe runs the ground wires
>with the poles and with the rest of the wires into the box, not at every
>site or multiple sites like we do here.

To be honest, I have a pretty sketchy idea of how the voltages vary
across Europe, and even hazier about the local practices for bonding
neutral or not.  I am pretty confident that they all use a third
conductor for grounding in most situations. It just doesn't happen to
be bonded to a live conductor.  The French do not bond a neutral.  We
do in the UK.

Here in the UK we have 'residual current devices' (RCDs) which are
like your GFIs.  It's not so clever to have the whole installation on
one RCD, but you can buy split distribution panels which put all the
socket outlets onto one RCD.  Then the lights stay on when it trips.
You can also buy RCD sockets for situations where the wiring goes out
of doors.  I ma not aware of regulations requiring them for kitchens,
but there may be some by now.
--
Hugh

http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/