PV system meters [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Aug 22 10:12:09 PDT 2002

Graham,

I would always wire a production meter to run in the forward direction. The
negative convention of the SW inverter made some sense for what it did, but
production should always be positive with grid-connected systems.

The tough thing to measure with a typical kWh meter is battery-based
systems. You have two AC outputs, one of which is bidirectional. You can use
two kWh meters, but you have to add the two readouts. If you use more than
you produce on the utility AC connection, that meter will have a negative
reading.

Bill.