AquaStar 125 BS [RE-wrenches]

Rob Harlan mendosol at mcn.org
Fri Aug 16 21:58:49 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- >
> I've got nothing but great things about my 125 solar.  With a solar
> preheat, its the only way to go.
>
> Yep plumbers don't like them, only because they don't know how to install
> them.  Also people don't like them because we don't always have the right
> parts, such as single handle faucets.  they don't work well, unless you
get
> the balanced type which are very expensive.
>
> Yes they are not for everyone, and not for all applications.
>
> jay
> peltz power

I serviced Aquastars for several years and have lived with two of the solar
preheat models for ten years.  Since they are more complex than a standard
tank heater they do need periodic servicing.  Expect to service it every
four years or so and it will probably last as long as you want it to.  They
are not planned obsolesence like most standard water heaters.  The company
has good 800# technical support and parts availability.  The manual that
comes with it is pretty easy to follow.  If you do not have a service person
in your area (the company maintains a list) or are not interested in working
on it yourself  I would suggest getting a tank water heater instead and
installing an extra sacrafice anode in it and check and replace the anodes
periodically.  This will make your tank last probably as long as you want it
to.

Instantaneous waterheaters do not work well on wimply pressure and flow
rates. If  your preheated water gets higher than 140F it will prematurely
age the water valve (in both the standard and solar models) so figure on
installing a tempering valve on the inlet side of the unit.

Rob Harlan
Mendocino Solar Service

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm