AquaStar 125 BS [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Aug 7 15:11:12 PDT 2002

I agree with Pat, a regular gas heater and storage tank combo may prove
more reliable and less troublesome in the long term.  If you do install
an Aquastar, make sure the tempering valve is plumbed in before the
Aquastar, otherwise surges of cold water enter into the system after the
Aquastar and can lead to unwanted temperature fluctuations, due to the
flow switch increasing and decreasing the volume of gas to the gas
valve, while the actual flow into the home remains constant.  This is a
tricky service call to trouble shoot and typically occurs after about 10
years when lime and other deposits build up inside the tempering valve
and keep the valve from seating correctly.  Locations with hard water
may have premature service calls.  Many homes in L.A. which had solar
water heating and Aquastar combo installations done in the 80's have
replaced the Aquastar with a traditional gas water heater.  If your job
site has stored propane as opposed to natural gas service then you may
be better off with the Aquastar.

Graham F. Owen
GO Solar Company
12439 Magnolia Blvd. #132