Give peace a chance [RE-wrenches]

Baran Galocy livewire at c-zone.net
Wed Aug 7 09:28:33 PDT 2002

Forgive the temporal lag - I've been camping,

In contemplating how I would construct a certification / licensing program
(if I were King :) I believe that it should resemble one of the multiplicity
of State license exams throughout this country, but be legislated such that
it supersedes any State or Local requirements.  Regardless of the test, LET
IT BE A NATIONAL STANDARD!!

I am currently licensed in California as an electrician ( C-10 ) and with
all due respect to Mo, I believe that it makes me a little more prepared
than the average Joe.  Many of the test questions are relevant to day-to-day
solar installation issues.  I don't see the connection between a C-46 and
photovoltaic installation.  Nor do I believe that we should, in any way,
shape, or form combine electrical and plumbing under one license.  Solar
thermal is an entirely different animal from solar electrical, and it should
remain that way.  Solar thermal is to a plumber what photovoltaics is to an
electrician. Why not a C-XXX license for solar / wind / hydro that applied
to the entire country?  We could at least try it here in California and see
what happens.  I am pretty certain that there isn't a grid-tie installer
here who isn't licensed.  Whether you are talking watts per meter squared,
wind gusts, or gallons per minute, it is all pretty much the same from the
generator on.  We all should be able to figure out how much a cubic yard of
concrete weighs, or determine a wire size based upon a chart or reference
table.  The sooner the standards are the same for all of us, the sooner we
will be able to demand equal requirements and codes from state to state and
county to county.   Because of my license, I can and do carry liability
insurance.  This just makes sense.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't
allow someone to install a $10,000 - $100,000 job without insurance on their
part.

Baran  - HelioElectric

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com