Freezer specs [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Aug 6 07:55:15 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Allen,
IF that's the same freezer that Golden Genitals used to sell, I
bought one for Kathleen years ago. It seemed to be consuming far more
power than they promised (If memory serves, they were claiming
600W/Hr/day or so) so I put it on it own system. Batteries, Exeltech
1100, and both DC and ac metering. It drew over 1KW in a cool
basement after two days of freeze down filled with milk jugs of ice.
I called them on it and they sent me a new one claiming that I
probably got one out of spec. Nope. The second one did the same so
back it went too. We bought a SunFrost F-10 and are happy with it.
For offgrid, I generally recommend the DC F-10 rather than the ac
model. Why? Well, it's a given that you HAVE DC to start with and
while inverters are pretty reliably, we've all seen them smoke.
Freezers tend to have things like half a beef, some frozen salmon, or
other spendy goodies in them. DC Freezers are also slightly more
efficient about power consumption, but it ain't a big thing.
Best, Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com