American energy use [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed Jul 24 19:13:12 PDT 2002

Allan,

Numbers vary pretty dramatically nationally, but here's the bit we've come up
with. Average house: 27 kWh/day. Avg VT house, 20 kWh/day. Of course, that
avearages summer and winter, some electric heat and hot water, and some
electric ranges.

We've developed some other numbers we use, although they are not firmly
documented, they seem to ring true as we continue to get feedback.

"Energy efficient typical house" w/o A/C, no electric heat of any type (water,
dryer, space, stove, hot tub): 8 kWh/day. Biggest thing is to make sure they
have compact fluorescent everywhere, and make some attempt at restricitng
vampire loads.

Energy Efficient House with electric cook stove and dryer": 12 kWh/day (varies
hugely with dryer and cooking use.)

"Off-grid house": should be 3-5 kWh/day, with some we've done operating below
1/2 kWh/day and some over 50 kWh/day.

I always put a lot of qualifiers on these numbers when speaking with people,
but it provides a good way to get into the subject. Rather than dreading the
questions of "how many kW/day does an AVERAGE house use?" I now use it as a way
to discuss all the different ways folks can make a  difference in their own
energy use.

I also strongly suggest you look on your state's Dept of Public Service (or
equivalent) web site to see if they list any stats. VT has a biennial report on
energy use which provides use with a lot of data. NM may have the same thing.

Jeff

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com