Measuring System Preformance. [RE-wrenches]

Carl Emerson, Free Power Ltd. freepower at freepower.co.nz
Sun Jul 21 13:00:48 PDT 2002

Hullo Folks,

I have been asked to consult for a local council who are installing a system for
a public library in Auckland.

I am looking at the loading and in addition to a check meter I will install a
data logger to get a better idea of the load profile.

The idea is to cover the lighting load annually and be net metered.

As this is a fairly new initiative for New Zealand and will have a high public
profile I would like to make sure that whoever wins the contract to design,
supply and install the system is required to meet a performance contract.

Now traditionally clients in the industry specify a peak wattage rating that the
system must meet. This comes down to an array size based on the label on the back
of the panel and allowance for system efficiency.

I want to depart from this approach because the manufacturers spec. bears little
relationship to real world performance.

I thought that kW/hrs produced by the system against recorded peak sun hours or
average insolation but this will not take into account ambient temperature and
wind speed. (both of these effect panel temperature).

All the necessary parameters will be recorded on site...  any thoughts on how to
define a performance contract that will be fair and guarantee a certain level of
energy production ???

Thanks

Carl Emerson

- - - -