PV only contractors? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 9 15:01:14 PDT 2002

Dunimis Technology Inc. located near Richmond Virginia is a 100% full time
solar pv design and installation business, although I also co-own an energy
engineering business - which may put us in your less than 100% solar
bracket.  Since Virginia includes the Virginia Beach/Newport news area with
several long time solar pool and DHW contractors doing some pv, several
isolated university type towns with at least one solar/fireplace/energy
saving product store in each, and the Washington DC area (which is in a
different world all to itself!!),  I only know about 8 to 10 advertised
solar contractors in Virginia and I am almost positive that none are 100%
full time pv. s.

We do have the fairly new PB Solorex amorphous module plant that located
near Williamsburg Virginia (as a result of a state solar manufacturer tax
break to attract a them),  but I think most of their product is shipped out
of state.

Also, even though Virginia passed a net metering law about two years ago,
Virginia's residential electric rates are still in the 7 to 8 cent/kwh range
(except maybe around D.C.), so I am not seeing the economics here yet for
grid tied systems which may be holding down any increase in installers. The
Washington DC area of Virginia overlaps the nearby Baltimore Maryland
marketing area which has higher utility rates and a higher percentage of
solar pv dealers and installers.

I hope this helps in coming up with a solar installer "head count" - we
would like to see the results of this informal poll.

Dunimis Technology Inc.
1903 Manakin Road
Manakin Sabot, Virginia 23103
Phone - 804-784-0063