PV only contractors? [RE-wrenches]

Darrin Primm primmd at HUTTONCOM.COM
Thu Jun 6 12:02:12 PDT 2002

Fax: 770-963-9335
E-mail: primmd at huttonsolar.com
web site: www.huttonsolar.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Davidson [mailto:joeldavidson at earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 1:13 PM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: Re: PV only contractors? [RE-wrenches]

Jeff, Thanks for the feedback. In 1990, when I was with Hoxan, I estimated
about
20 U.S. "resellers" of all types (distributors, dealers, installers,
mailorder,
but not including manufacturers) doing at least $500k in PV revenues
annually
and about 100 doing less than $500k. Lots of one-man operations, some
mom-and-pops and a few larger companies like Atlantic Solar, Sunelco, Solar
Depot, Real Goods, Solar Electric Specialties, Photron, Wm. Lamb, Photocomm,
Integrated Power Corporation, etc. Some of the bigger companies did
installation
work. Many of the smaller companies only did a few installations a year.

Anyone else care to estimate how many full time PV installers are in their
region or in the U.S.?

"Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources" wrote:

> There are probably about 15 people in Vermont who make a full time living
by
> selling and installing PV. That's being conservative. (i.e. I'm not
counting
> our firm as 5, but instead as 2. That's about what we have doing the field
> material ordering, final design and installation.) Counted in a more loose
> fashion, the number could be 25-30. Of course, not all our work is in VT,
or
> the US for that matter.
>
> Jeff

- - - -