Connections and Mis-understanding [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Thu Jun 6 11:31:14 PDT 2002

Hi Marco:

Actually up to now, I've been a fan of TC cable with strain releif
connectors Jbox to Jbox and I would run these down the pole to a 6 x 6 j
box or load center set at least 5 ft up the pole. I'd zip tye with UV rated
zips and everyone was happy. I recently switched to the BP2150 modules with
MC connectors because I thought it would be faster and cheaper. Even though
it met code, it just really didn't look professional with bundles of wires
zip tyed under the modules. (on a $30,000 project looks count) This was a
ground mount array on a 4 ft stand, so the back of the array was very
visible. Part of the problem was that this was a 48 volt system, so we had
alot of home runs too. The other problem, is that the MC connectors can't
be cut to the exact length like the TC cable. If I were doing a roof mount
at high voltage, I could hide all that loose wire between the modules and
the roof. Further, I wouldn't have as many  home runs because of the high
voltage.
My bottom line:
MC type modules are suitable for high voltage systems where the back of the
array isn't readily visible (ie. roof mounted grid intertie). Otherwise,
I'm going back to TC cable and Jboxes.

Ray

PS to Bob E. and all:
I can email JPEG pictures of my cosemetic surgery for the MC cable
installation, contact me off list.

IAt 09:04 AM 6/5/02 -1000, you wrote:
>Am I missing something here?  MC cables that are RHW-2/USE-2 and rated for
direct outdoor exposure use should be put in conduit?  Wasn't the principal
reason for PV manufacturers to go with MC cables rather than J-boxes to
make for a quicker, easier install?  Sure, it's necessary to secure any
outdoor cable, but is the consensus now that MC cables NOT in conduit using
duct seal (?!) is a bad idea?  While we're at it, maybe we should put one
conduit in a larger conduit so that the cable carrying conduit doesn't get
too affected by the weather...

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com