Fw: Need a Deep Well Pump Solution [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Sat Jun 1 21:24:05 PDT 2002

Hi Allan:

Actually over the years I have gravitated away from Brad's thinking of
tying the well pump to the main system. I now have a slight preference for
array direct systems. The main reason is that when a plumbing failure
occurs ( toilet running, leaky cistern, floatswitch not switching off,
etc.) the well pump keeps running until the batteries are drained. More
than once has the toilet flapper valve stuck open slightly over night,
resulting in a wake up call to no water, and no power. To fully use the PV
power in array direct mode, we've added switching relays that switch the
pump's array over to charge the batteries when the cistern is full. It does
limit the water usage, but this increases the time between service calls
and it makes water usage more predictable. In battery based systems,
predicting GPD accurately can make or break your entire PV power system
design. Unless you actually meter the flow or have a time counter on the
pump, you could be off a hundred gallons per day or more.
Also, the SDR pipe used on both the Sunrise and Solamotor pumps is approved
for potable water. Its not garden hose or that clear vinyl tubing Brad may
be thinking of.
Installation of the Solamotor is similar to the Sunrise: it is continuous
pipe that is laid straight on the ground or can be rolled up on 6 ft diam.
spool. We have a 6 ft diam roller that the pipe rolls out of the well on.
First we pull the pipe up with a winch and boom arm to get over the roller,
then we drive away from the well happily dragging the remaining several
hundred feet out in a few minutes. Walkie Talkies keep the driver/puller in
touch with the person at the wellhead.

Ray

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm