UL Listing versus CSA listing status (was on grid battery...) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed May 29 09:44:24 PDT 2002

I agree with Windy's statement but want to clarify one issue -

CSA can test to a UL standard - but an approval to only a Canadian
standard does not meet the US requirements.  A product has to be tested
and listed to the US standard for installation in the US.  This testing
can be done by any NRTL approved by OSHA.

Currently, there is no direct comparable Canadian standard to UL1741 -
but I hear that Canada is looking at adopting a version very similar.
Inverters and such sold in Canada currently are evaluated under CS-22
which is a generic power supply standard that is far easier to meet than
UL1741.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com